Grilled Watermelon Salad with Queso Fresco
This light, sweet, and smokey watermelon salad is incredibly easy and balances out the traditional spices in a Mexican spread.
- Half a large watermelon (seedless)
- 1/2 cup of queso fresco
- 1 cucumber
- Olive oil
- Heat your grill to medium high heat
- Take the watermelon and try to cut it into triangles about 1 inch thick and 2 inches on each side
- Place the watermelon on a paper towel and toss a little salt to let water drain (let sit for 20 minutes)
- Clean and cut your cucumber
- Place the watermelon on aluminum foil and place on grill and drizzle olive oil over the pieces
- After 3 minutes, turn the pieces and take off after another three (watermelon will look charred and crunchy)
- Toss the watermelon with cucumbers and cheese- serve with a dash of pepper to taste
Serving suggestion: serve before burgers for an elegant touch or with taco night, as I did.