It's Christmas in July- Tomorrow is National Tequila Day! In honor of this great holiday, I experimented with a few tequila combinations. Tequila is liquor that can definitely stand on its own. It's a party in a shot and an easy go to drink is tequila on the rocks with a splash of lime juice.
For something more festive, I suggest this simple but beautifully balanced punch for your next taco night or tomorrow's pregame. The watermelon-basil-lime trifecta is light and refreshing and curbs the kick of the tequila. It's not an accident these elements are the same color as tequila's national flag (or Christmas).
Ingredients (serves 4):
1. 4 large wedges of watermelon (if you are buying a whole one- 2 cups)
2. 1/2 cup of lime juice
3. 2 limes (cut into slices)
4. 4 slices of basil chopped up
5. 1 cup of tequila
6. 1 tablespoon of agave (optional)
Instructions- using a large mason jar or punch bowl
1. Muddle the watermelon into a puree
2. Add the basil and the lime wedges
3. Add a scoop of ice
4. Add the tequila
5. Add the lime juice
6. Garnish with lime slices